Fantastic news from the White House:
President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced an executive order that would require medical care be given to infants who are born alive after failed abortion attempts.
“Today I am announcing that I will be signing the Born-Alive Executive Order to ensure that all precious babies born alive, no matter their circumstances, receive the medical care that they deserve. This is our sacrosanct moral duty,” said Trump Sept. 23, speaking in a pre-recorded video address during the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast virtual even.
The Born-Alive Infant Protection Act has been introduced several times in Congress, but has failed to become law. The bill stalled in the House of Representatives in 2019-2020 because an insufficient number of members signed a discharge petition which would have triggered a vote on the bill.
The proposed law would not have created any new limit or restriction on access to abortion, but would require that infants born alive after an attempted abortion be given appropriate medical care consistent with that given to a child of the same gestational age born under a different circumstance. Several states have passed their own version of the bill.
The full text of the executive order has yet to be released, but is expected to mirror the attempted federal legislation on the issue. Trump also announced that his administration would be “increasing federal funding for neonatal research, to ensure that every child has the very best chance to thrive and to grow.” September is Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Awareness month.
The National Catholic Prayer Breakfast had been rescheduled from March 30 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and was held as an online broadcast. This was Trump’s first time speaking at the event, although administration officials, including Vice President Mike Pence and former acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, have addressed the breakfast in past years.
“I want to express my deep gratitude everyone who prays for me, for the First Lady, and for our great country,” Trump said.
Here’s the Susan B. Anthony List’s reaction to the news:
“President Trump’s order will bring nationwide practices into line with modern science and protect some of the nation’s most vulnerable children,” said SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser. “A growing body of research shows extremely premature babies once written off as hopeless can indeed survive and thrive with active care. Yet too often, local protocols still allow for infants on the cusp of viability to be denied lifesaving intervention – even over the desperate pleas of their parents. Whether a child receives medical care should never be dictated by an arbitrary timeline, zip code, or which doctor happens to be on duty.
“We thank President Trump for safeguarding the dignity of the littlest Americans and ensuring their full and equal protection under the law. We also join him in calling again for Congress to pass legislation ending late-term abortions after five months of pregnancy, a point when science shows unborn children feel pain, and protecting babies born alive during failed abortions. Thanks to extremist Democrats like Senator Kamala Harris who have spent nearly two years blocking the will of the American people, the United States remains one of seven nations where babies more than halfway through pregnancy – the same age as little Ellie Schneider at birth, a time when fetal surgeons routinely treat patients right in the womb – can be aborted for any reason, and one where abortion survivors can be callously left to die.
“President Trump has promised to overcome Democrats’ obstruction and put a stop to infanticide. The contrast is stark and the choice clear. It is time for all Americans concerned about protecting innocent life to come together to stop the Biden-Harris agenda and support President Trump.”